Skip to main content

Regional OSP Safety Meeting July 19, 2016

Posted in

 

 

**Issue Owners are in BLUE. If you have taken ownership of an issue, please be prepared to provide an update at our next meeting**

**Unresolved / Ongoing Issues**

-On the road driver's safety training.

  • Also referred to as peer to peer driver's training. Scott Germak will look into seeing if we may be able to work it in, depending on the needs of the business.

Updates / Discussion

  • Scott will pick this issue back up and look into it further. There had been discussion about this while we were still VZ. Possibility of using an outside vendor. This needs to be a uniform process across the region. If this does go through, we probably won't see any of it until around October time frame. We will look for an update at our next meeting.

 

-Electrical outlet testers. (Resolved)

  • Many techs conveyed at Day of Safety that they did not have this piece of equipment. Noah asked for the advocates and LCOMs to go back and ensure that these get ordered for those who currently do not have one. Joey Santiago committed to follow up for Eastern Division.

Updates / Discussion

  • This issue seems to have been resolved. None of the advocates spoke up when asked if there was still a need to get these ordered for their area.

 

-Cold closure training

  • Len Goellner will continue to attempt to set up vendor training. He also sent word to logistics to continue to stock heat shrinks.

Updates / Discussion

  • Scott Germak volunteered to take this issue on now that Len is no longer part of the committee. He will reach out to the training center to try to coordinate with the vendor. Training is to be given to some of the advocates and they will then go back to their area to share with their groups. Update to be given at our next meeting.

 

 

 

**Issues from January 26, 2016**

-RF meter locations

  • Marty Rodeffer asked if there was some way to compile a list of where the RF meters were stored. This would ensure that in the event that a broadband tech needs to enter a cell site, they would know where the nearest meter is for them to use.

Updates / Discussion

  • Marty did receive a partial list. Josh Saladino will reach out to the areas that are missing in order to get the list complete. Joey Santiago offered to assist if needed. Once complete, the list will be shared with the appropriate work groups. Update to be given at our next meeting.

 

-Contained dog door hanger

  • Noah brought up an idea on how to lower the incidents of dog bites. If we had a door hanger that we could put on the room where the dog is contained, the chances of someone accidently letting the dog out would go down. Len and/or Geno would look into getting approval and having some printed up.

Updates / Discussion

  • Geno Flori volunteered to take over this issue. He will look into the logistics of getting these made and will update us all at our next meeting. All of the advocates agreed that this is a good way to offer another layer of protection against dog bites.

 

-Incomplete sidewalk sleever kits in New Port (Resolved)

  • If anyone does not have a complete kit, contact Earl or Josh for the correct order IDs.

Updates / Discussion

  • The only discussion we had regarding this issue was if the sledge hammer should weigh six or eight pounds, six pounds was determined to be the proper size. It was also clarified that there would not be a kit for each employee, that they should be stored at the yard and available when needed. Nobody spoke up saying that they did not have access to a kit in their area.

-Tarpon Springs work center address

  • Per Dan Wagner, the given address for the work center is nowhere near the actual address. This has been an issue with 911 services. Len and/or Geno will follow up with real estate to see what the solution is.

Updates / Discussion

  • Aaron Stinson volunteered to look into this further. We were told that the issue had been resolved and that the address now showed as 1950 Plaza Dr. This will be confirmed and real estate will be consulted about the possibility of installing another sign directing people back to the work center. An update will be given on this at our next meeting.

-Vehicle maintenance issues (Resolved)

  • Justin Horne brought up some concerns regarding vehicle maintenance. Examples of vehicles going 12,000 miles past their recommended oil change, engine light repeatedly come on, and other routine issues that are difficult to get addressed.

Updates / Discussion

  • Justin Horne reported that things have gotten much better in his yard and that they were nearly all caught up with PMs.

  • There was great dialogue between the representatives from fleet and the rest of the safety committee. David Carman and Eric Garcia are from fleet management and they reminded everyone to continue to do their daily safety checks and to refer any truck issues to the garage ASAP. We also discussed the roles and responsibilities of the contractors who are currently helping the garages get caught up. If there are any issues with a PM done by a contractor, David asked that they be referred to him.

**New Issues / Ownership**

1.Tire pressure stickers on the vehicles.

Eric Garcia told us that the mix up with the tires has been corrected and that this should not be an issue any longer. He went on to explain that the correct air pressure for any vehicle is located on a sticker on the door panel. He asked that we let everyone know to refer to that sticker for the proper tire inflation.

2. Bumper Mounted Cone Racks (David Carman, Eric Garcia)

Duke Raven asked if there was any possibility of getting cone holders that mount onto the bumper. Some of the trucks have 6+ cones on board and storing them is very cumbersome. David Carman explained to the committee that due to the wide variety of vehicles in the fleet, there is no one size fits all solution. There are also some concerns regarding the air bag sensors that are located in the bumper of some of the vehicles. He went on to say that fleet is currently looking at trying to come up with a uniform system to address the issue.

 

3. Regular Safety Meetings (Jamie McElman)

Justin Horne raised his concern that there are no longer regular safety meetings being held in the yards. Jamie McElman shared with us that safety is currently combining the best practices from Verizon and Frontier. They are also working on distributing a weekly safety topic to be covered in the field as well as safety lesson plans and action plans. Jamie also clarified that Frontier has adopted the Verizon cone policy which states that cones should be used everywhere, including the work centers.

 

4. Different Shirt Styles (Kelly Austin)

Kipp Beard asked if there were going to be any additional options for company shirts. The ones that are currently available are very hot to work in. Kelly Austin advised us that the ordering process has been slow up to this point. There was an email sent out recently telling everyone that the ordering system had opened up. If someone has not yet gotten this email, she asked for them to get with their LCOM. Currently, the vendor is trying to get everyone who has ordered shirts at least one ASAP. There is a tremendous backlog for them to work through so the rest of the order may not ship out for a while. Kelly also said that she will look into the possibility of keeping the dri-fit style shirts that we were able to get before.

5. Gatorade (Geno Flori)

Kipp also brought up that they don't seem to be able to get any more Gatorade in supply. Geno said that he would check with logistics to see if there is an issue on their end and if we can expedite the orders.

6. Stress (All Advocates)

Troy Hamrick wanted to remind everyone that there is still a high stress level being felt by all of the employees. He would like for us to let everyone know that they shouldn't keep the stress bottled up and that it is good to talk about the different things that are affecting them.

7. PPE (All Advocates)

Ron Corgan asked us to go back to our areas and remind everyone that we need to continue using or hard hats and vests. We should be working under the same policies that Verizon had until Frontier comes out with their own.

8. Garage PPE (Josh Saladino)

Benny Reyes commented that the mechanics had not yet been issued any hard hats or vests. Josh Saladino asked Benny to get with his LCOM and if he is still unable to get them, to let him know so that it will get corrected.

9. Circle Check / Driving (All Advocates)

Vernon Burrell asked for us to remind everyone to continue doing their circle checks on their vehicle. He also would like for us to remind everyone about defensive driving and to put special emphasis on following distance. He mentioned that now that the rainy season is here, roadways will often be wet and that we need to adjust our driving accordingly.

 

10. 36inch Cones (Jamie McElman)

Jim Emminger told us that the reflective tape that is supposed to be on his 36 inch cones has come off. When he asked for replacements, he discovered that these were not available in the Frontier ordering system. Jamie said that he is aware of the issue and that they are currently working to get the proper cones added to the system.

11. Ladder Strap

James Gooden had a question about the proper way to use a ladder strap. It was shared that the proper method is determined by the manufacturer and that he would need to refer to those instructions. The older ladder straps require the straps to run straight between the ladder and the pole. The newer ladder straps require that the straps cross one another to form an X between the ladder and the pole.

12. Attic Blower Kits (All Advocates)

Wayne Craig asked where we were at with getting attic blower kits distributed out to the yards. The committee was under the impression that this issue was closed but after some discussion it seems that it is not. Josh Saladino asked for the advocates to go back to their areas and make sure that there was an attic blower kit available to use. If one can't be found, he asked for them to work with the LCOM and ACOM to get a kit put together. If there are any road blocks, refer them to Josh to get it addressed. *Joey Santiago provided an update after the meeting and said that he was not able to locate an attic blower kit anywhere in Eastern Division and that he will get it addressed.

13. Ladders (Steve Johnson)

Scott Fletcher said that there were quite a few ladders in Eastern Division that were in need of attention. He asked if there were any plans to have them inspected and repaired or replaced.

*Joey Santiago provided an update after the meeting and said that he found out that there were some ladders that had not been looked at since 2014. He said that he has asked Steve Johnson to head this project up and that it will start next week. They will repair or replace as necessary.

 

 

 

Minutes Prepared by Josh Saladino