Skip to main content

Regional OSP Safety Meeting 1/17/17

Posted in

 

**Our next meeting will be held Tuesday, April 18th**

**Issue Owners are in BLUE.  If you have taken ownership of an issue, please be prepared to provide an update at our next meeting**

 

**Unresolved / Ongoing Issues**

 

-Contained dog door hanger (Josh Saladino)

·       

Noah brought up an idea on how to lower the incidents of dog bites.  If we had a door hanger that we could put on the room where the dog is contained, the chances of someone accidently letting the dog out would go down.  Len and/or Geno would look into getting approval and having some printed up.

Updates / Discussion

·       

We have an initial quote for 500 door hangers.  Josh will continue to gather more quotes and will solicit input from the Directors as to which printer to go with.  The goal is to have these out to the field by the next safety meeting.

 

  

**Issues from October 11th**

-  Keystone Road Manhole Lids (Drashea Stevenson) (Resolved)

Jim Emminger has noticed that there are numerous manhole lids along Keystone Rd with no holes in them for gas detection prior to opening them.  The holes also help when taking the lids off or putting them back on.  This issue stems from the use of left over manholes from a previous road job.  Not all the lids have holes in them but some of them do.  Per Kenny Soule, the lids were ordered incorrectly on that previous job and that is why some do not have holes.  When this has happened in the past, we have had to have a company come in and drill holes in the affected lids so that we can safely enter the manhole.  Aaron Stinson volunteered to take this issue and he will look into getting the lids drilled.  We advised everyone that unless you can test the atmosphere prior to opening a manhole, it is not safe to do so.

 

Updates / Discussion

·       

Drashea has taken this issue over and has advised us that as employees run into these lids, to get the address to him and he will see to it that holes are put into them.  We are going to handle this on a case by case basis going forward.

2.  Hi-Vis Shirts (Josh Saladino)

Jim Emminger asked if there is any possibility of considering getting OSHA / ANSI compliant, hi-vis shirts with reflective material on them to wear in lieu of needing to wear a safety vest over your normal shirt.  We all agreed that this is an issue worth pursuing.  In the past the problem that we found with the shirts is that they had a limit of 25 wash cycles until they lost their effectiveness.  Josh Saladino will begin to look at the options and see if there are any available shirts with a longer wash cycle that we may be able to get.  It was also asked if it would be possible to get some sort of shade cloth that would attach to a hard hat and protect the wearer's neck.

Updates / Discussion

·       

Josh has checked with multiple suppliers and thus far has been unable to find one that will guarantee their shirts for more than 25 wash cycles.  We will continue to pursue this in the upcoming months and report back at the next meeting.

3.  Bump Hats (Joe Dolphy & Doug Spurlin)

Scott Germak asked if the "bump" style hard hats were still available to order.  These could be used by the mechanics as well as the field techs while working in attics.  The concern that we had previously was that techs would use the bump hats in applications that they are not intended to be used in.  Joe Dolphy will check into the availability in the supply system and update us at the next meeting.

Updates / Discussion

·       

Joe Dolphy shared that the company is trying to get to a common standard and that there is also the potential for someone to use the bump hat in an application that it is not intended for.  Bump hats should never be used while working aloft because they do not provide any protection against arc flash.  Doug Spurlin did not want to close this issue just yet and he and Joe will discuss this further.  Joe also said that he would discuss this at the next safety standards committee meeting as well.

4.  Vans Being Overloaded (All Advocates)

We had a discussion regarding the possibility of the 1/2 ton vans being overloaded.  It was decided that we need to conduct a study wherein we would get the vans weighed and see if there are any adjustments that need to be made.  Will Parks and Steve Johnson will conduct the study in the Plant City yard.  We will begin by getting a normally set-up van weighed so that we have a point of reference and adjust from there.  They will report back on their findings at our next meeting.

The representatives from fleet did share that as these 1/2 ton vans get retired, they do plan to replace them with 3/4 ton vehicles and have no plans of purchasing any more 1/2 ton vehicles in the future.

 

Updates / Discussion

·       

Lee Richardson reported that Plant City did conduct the study and found that the ½ ton vans and hybrid pickups were the two models that were overweight.  Through trial and error, they discovered that if they only loaded these vehicles with enough equipment / supplies for the day’s jobs, that they were able to get them all under the max weight. 

·       

As a committee, we decided that we were going to go back to our workgroups and begin the process of inspecting all of the vehicles for potential overloading; paying close attention to the ½ ton vans and hybrids.  If we feel that a vehicle may be overloaded, the advocates from both management and craft will work with the employees and help them to stock their vehicle appropriately.  We are comfortable with using the practice that Plant City started to get the weight where it needs to be, but if there is a scale available feel free to weigh the vehicles if you would like to.  All advocates should be prepared to report back at our next meeting on the results of the inspections. 

 

**New Issues / Ownership**

 

1.  Techs being sent to hostile customers

An employee called us and shared that he had been sent out to a customer who security knew ahead of time was going to be hostile.  Security notified the manager of the situation but nobody notified the tech until after the job was complete.  We decided that if this scenario were to ever happen again, that another employee, preferably a manager< would accompany the tech on the job.

2.  Call out procedure for downed cables (Doug Spurlin)

An employee shared at a Union meeting a story about a cable that had been down for one full week before anyone from Frontier responded.  The cable had fallen across two driveways and the customers were driving over it daily.  After some investigating, it turns out that somehow the initial ticket that was created for this got stuck in a que that is not monitored.  Nobody can explain how or why this happened.  Doug Spurlin did say that he is on a team that is evaluating the different ques that Frontier has and that if we have any further examples like this to get them to him. 

3.  Locates not always accurate

Vernon Burrell shared with everyone a recent example where a locate mark for buried electrical service was not accurate.  There were no injuries due to the fact that the crew working on the job was still cautious and did not just assume that the locate was correct.  He would like to remind everyone to dig with caution when around other facilities.  Jim Emminger also reminded everyone to test with your FVD not only before beginning the work but also throughout the job.

4.  Non-Potable Water

Justin Horne mentioned a concern regarding the newly re-opened Land ‘O Lakes and Wesley Chapel work centers.  There has been non-potable water signs hanging at both locations for years and now that it is a work center the signs are gone.  Joe Dolphy explained that all of the testing and permits have been taken care of and that the water is safe for drinking.  Joe went on to tell us that they are required to re-test the wells annually.

5.  Power Influence in Bartow (Joe Dolphy)

Scott Fletcher brought up an issue that has been ongoing in Bartow.  There is a cable that runs down CR555 that has foreign voltage induction that is severe enough to blow up repeater cards 20,000 feet from the source of the induction.  There was some sort of generator installed at a customer’s premise and that seems to be the source.  Joe Dolphy told us that the company has been working with an electrical contractor to establish where the zone of influence is and to build a sufficient ground field to alleviate the issue.  Duke Raven mentioned that the drought like conditions in the area could be a contributing factor because the ground may not have enough moisture in it to provide a good solid ground.  Joe said that currently there is nobody permitted to work in the affected cable and it will stay that way until the issue is fixed once and for all.  He will give us an update at our next meeting.

 

6.  Temp drop issues (Drashea Stevenson)

Ricky King shared that he is still running into situations where there are temp drops laid across sidewalks and driveways.  There was one in particular that ran across the doorway of a business that people ended up tripping over numerous times.  There still seems to be a major issue with getting someone out for tech on site scenarios.  The techs are getting a lot of unnecessary push back from the dispatch center and they are being told that unless a bore is needed, that no tech on site ticket will be created.  Drashea Stevenson took ownership of this issue and is going to examine the tech on site process again to try to find out what the problem seems to be.

7.  Fleet realignment

David Carman shared with us that Randall Johnston will now be supervising all of the garages in Pinellas and north Hillsborough and that Eric Garcia will be responsible for the Causeway garage and all others south and east of it.  David also told us that they were currently conducting training for the mechanics on the different heavy trucks.  The training will be for inspections and minor repairs only.  Also, nobody came to Randall after our last meeting for assistance with changing the configuration of their vehicles.

8.  Ladder skills (Josh Saladino)

Billy Flick mentioned that he believes that not all of the BSW techs that had recently been promoted to CZTII or FNFT have been through the ladder skills class.  I asked him to get with me after the meeting for a list of the names and that I would look into it further.

9.  AED

Greg Flick mentioned that someone had recently suffered a heart attack at the work center and asked about possibly having an automated external defibrillator installed at the work center.  There was quite a bit of discussion about this.  There are quite a few requirements that go into having one of these devices on company property.  Proper training and maintenance need to be done and it may not be practical to have one installed in a building as small as a work center. 

10.  First Aid / CPR

The discussion about the AED led into a discussion about first aid and CPR training.  Joe Dolphy explained to us that everyone should have gone through the full CPR course when they got hired.  That should then be followed up by a refresher course every three years.  There was also some discussion about incorporating some basic first aid training into the curriculum of the safety rodeos, whenever they start up again. 

11.  Follow Ups (All Advocates)

Josh Saladino and Noah Kaaa both urged all the advocates to please follow up with the things that are discussed at our meetings.  We need to have better communication back in the yard as to what is discussed here.  It would also be beneficial if the Hall was made aware of safety issues as they are happening, instead of after the fact. 

 

  Minutes Prepared by J. Saladino